Bintulu is a bustling oil town, with a total population of nearly 200,000 comprising of Chinese, Ibans, Malays, Punan, Segaan, Kayan, Kenyah and others.
It is the fourth largest town in Sarawak, after Kuching, Miri and Sibu.
If you are new to Bintulu, here are some of the things you should know about Bintulu.
1. Bintulu, 1970s it all started with a small fisherman villages with 5000 people, now it has about 180000 population.
2. Ethnic compositions are Iban, Chinese, Kenyah, Malay, Kayan, Kenyah, Punan and Segaan.
3. It is about 650 kilometers from Kuching and about 215 kilometers from either Sibu or Miri.The fourth largest town after Kuching, Sibu, Miri. Located halfway between Kuching and Kota Kinabalu.
4. World first and only integrated low-temperature Fischer-Topsch Shell MDS Middle Distillates Synthesis plant.
5. Home to ABF, Asean Bintulu Fertilizer, marking Petronas first entry to petrochemical industry.
6. Home to Petronas LNG Complex is home to one of the largest Liquefied Natural Gas in a single plant in the world, (right after Qatar), consist of three LNG Projects, MLNG Satu, Dua and Tiga.
7. Also, a factory of Daiken Sarawak Sdn Bhd, which convert the residues from sawmills and plywood factories into high-value MDF, middle density fibre board panels.
8. Foods here are expensive, extremely. Water 30 cents to 50 cents, simple Fried Rice 4 ringgits, roti canai kosong is 1 ringgit. Halal foods.
9. Properties here also expensive, e.g. a new terrace house costs Rm260,000 at Summerville. Basically, to rent a house here for a fully furnished house is about Rm 850.
10. Fast food here, we have KFCs(2), a Pizza Hut, Marrybrown and Sugarbuns (2), no McDs, and Starbucks here. At least something right.
11. Banks, Maybank, CIMB Bank, Bank Muamalat, Eon Bank, Bank Islam, Public Bank and RHB Bank. Foreign banks include – HSBC Bank, Standard & Chartered Bank and Hwang DBS Investment Bank
12. Shopping complexes, City Point and ParkCity Mall. City point has a cinema but since Park City Mall is big and new, considered the place the coolest of them all.
13. Coolest jogging and hiking site is Tanjung Batu Beach area.
14. Hotels, we have plenty of it. A good place stay is Park City Everly, New World Hotel, Regency Hotel.
15. They are only Shell and Petronas petrol pumps in Bintulu. One liter of fuel here is RM2.70.
16. Taxi here is on call. Price is negotiable.
17. Four wheel drive here is popular compared to saloon cars, even though the road here is tar paved.
18. For Muslim, here the prayers time are about 30 minutes earlier than peninsular. Mosque here is well we have but not many like in the peninsular Malaysia. Masjid Assyakirin, Masjid Hidayah and a couple more mosque available.
19. Finally, we have futsal courts here in Bintulu. Rm85 per hour and after 11 they charge you only Rm60. Cheap rate.
20. Cigarettes are very cheap, you can get the 20box for less than RM2. Cheap rate. Also, the beer here is also cheap.
21. Bintulu is famous with its belacan, super tasty less smell, usually as an appetizer, serve with nasi goreng.
22. Pasar Tamu, located in the town is the place where you can get all the wet foods fresh from the sea, and you must go there early in the morning to enable to get the fresh fishes.
23.Happening evening eating site in Bintulu is Kuburia, located just opposite the Chinese cemetery. You can enjoy the foods here while hanging out with your friends, and it’s really happening. At least…
24. Cinema, we have it at City Point. Rm10 per ticket and they use the manual ticket, where you have to tick by using pen your sitting. Well, here usually people don’t mind to switch on their handphones, and when it’s ringing certainly it is really disturbing.
25. The road here, well if your driving you better watch out. Drive carefully, the road condition here is not good and the people here also didn’t help either. When raining you better drive 60km/h watch you distance with cars in front of you coz accidents always I repeat always happen when it is raining.
26. Car, you better lock it carefully. They are cases, plenty of it missing cars.
27.People who love fishing, Bintulu here is the best place to go fishing.
28.Golf, well we have Kelab Golf Bintulu. For golf enthusiasts, it’s a good place to play.
29.Swimming, here even though Bintulu is a coastal town, the only place where people allowed to swim are at Similajau National Park, RM10 entry, with chalet facilities, you can bring your family there for a picnic by the lovely beach.
30. Parking, here in Bintulu you need to buy the BDA parking booklet.
31. Bintulu has 3G services, Celcom, Maxis, Digi, you name it we have em all.
32. Watson, Guardian also available here in Bintulu.
33. Retail shopping, we have Farley, Sing Kwong, and New World Mart. There are some rumors saying that Parkson is opening a branch here in Bintulu.
The above list is compiled by Shahril who recently move into Bintulu.
He hopes to list at least 100 things he knows about Bintulu with everyone.
Bintulu.Org welcome contribution and sharing of information. If you have any websites or blogs related Bintulu – please let’s know. We will link back to your sites if we found the information relevant to Bintulu.