The five people including two Perak state executive councillors detained by the Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) recently for alleged graft will be charged on Monday.

ACA director-general Datuk Seri Ahmad Said Hamdan said the agency was in the midst of informing the two excos and three others to turn up at its office in Ipoh on Monday morning before taking them to court to face the charges.

“We are charging them on Monday. We have sufficient evidence to prosecute them,” he told The Star in an interview on Saturday.

The ACA picked up the five men, including Behrang assemblyman Jamaluddin Mohd Radzi, 52, and Changkat Jering assemblyman Kapt (Rtd) Mohd Osman Mohd Jailu, 57, for alleged graft involving a housing project in Seri Iskandar worth RM180mil.

Osman and four others, aged 30 to 57, were picked up in Ipoh on Tuesday at 5.40pm while Jamaluddin was detained when he went to the Perak ACA office on Wednesday to give his statement.

The others detained were a PKR member who contested and lost in the last general election, a businessman, a Perak Development Corporation technician and a Perak Tengah district councillor.

The ACA had earlier said that it recovered RM100,000 in cash from the men but believed they had been receiving money many times.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, responding to the arrests, said this was proof of the agency’s increased efficiency due to improvements to its enforcement capacity.

He also brushed off suggestions by some PKR members that the arrests were made to coincide with the Permatang Pauh by-election.

On Friday, the two assemblymen had given the ACA and the media 24 hours to apologise for reports over the arrests or face an RM100mil defamation suit.

The Star