It is unlikely for Anwar to topple Barisan Nasional government on September 16, despite his claimed of having the numbers says a senior professor.

“Remember Kalong Ningkan (first Sarawak CM). He was removed from inside the house not outside. Any attempt to take over a government can only be done when parliament convenes ” said Prof. Dr Jayum Jawan in a phone interview with Bintulu earlier this morning.

“Any attempt by Anwar to topple Abdullah’s government can only be initiated on October 13, when the Third Meeting will resume” added Prof. Jayum.

When asked to comment on possible defection – Prof. Jayum who teaches politics and government at Putra Malaysia said it would be difficult as Barisan Nasional MPs definitely don’t want to be labeled ‘as the cause of a government downfall’ later on.

Malaysiakini reported in a rally attended by some 20,000 strong supporters last night Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim told them he had the numbers to form a new government and wants to meet with Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to discuss a handover.

For the record, Stephen Kalong Ningkan served as first chief minister of the East Malaysian state of Sarawak between July 1963 and September 1966. Ningkan, as leader of the Council Negri (the state legislature), had purportedly ceased to command the confidence of the majority of the council. With the backing of the federal government in Kuala Lumpur, the governor proceeded to appoint a new chief minister.

However, Ningkan’s refused to vacate his office, resulting in a constitutional impasse that was perceived to threaten the fragile unity of Malaysia, aroused a vigorous reaction from the federal government.

On 14 September 1966, Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Malaysia’s head of state, proclaimed a state of emergency in Sarawak on the basis that its security was threatened by the constitutional crisis. Under emergency rule, Parliament was legislatively enabled to exercise further powers, effectively governing Sarawak from the federal capital.

Ningkan appealed his dismissal all the way to the Privy Council in London, Malaysia’s then final appellate court, but lost his appeal for a declaration that he was still chief minister of Sarawak.

Related stories: