National Police Chief Gen Bambang Hendarso Danuri has confirmed that one of four terror suspects shot dead during a raid in Solo, Central Java, on Thursday morning was Malaysian fugitive terror mastermind Noordin Mohammad Top.
Danuri made the confirmation on Thursday evening in a press conference at the National Police Headquarters where he also recounted the chronology of the armed police raid on a terrorist hideout in Solo, Central Java, on Thursday morning.
Among the four bodies recovered after the raid on house in a village in Solo was a decapitated one believed to belong to terror mastermind Noordin M Top who had been at large for nine years.
In the press conference, the National Police chief was accompanied by his deputy Com Gen Makbul Padmanegara, Operations Deputy Insp Gen SY Wenas, and other top police officials.
Danuri made the confirmation after the police matched Noordin`s fingerprints with those police had kept in their files.
“We obtained Noordin`s fingerprints from the Malayian Police and after we matched these with those of one of the bodies, we found they matched on 14 points on the right and left fingers,” Danuri said.
Although the identification by the fingerprints was convincing enough, Danuri said, the police would still conduct a DNA test and announce the results within the next 20 hours.
Besides Noordin, the armed police in the raid also shot dead three other terror suspects, namely Bagus Budi Pranoto alias Urwah, Hadi Susilo dan Aryo Sudarso alias Aji, and found a cache of weapons including grenades in the house as well as eight sacks of explosives.
Danuri explained that before the raid, police had captured two other suspected terrorists, namely Rahmat Puji Prabowo alias Bejo and Supono alias Kedu at Solo`s Gading market, The arrests took place five hours before the raid in which Noordin and his three other colleagues were shot dead.
The police found out Noordin`s whereabouts from Rahmat Puji Prabowo and Supono alias Kedu.