Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak confirmed Deputy Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Sulaiman Abdul Rahman Abdul Taib’s stated wish to quit the post.
“But I have not discussed this with the Sarawak Barisan Nasional chairman,” he told reporters after chairing the Umno Supreme Council meeting here Friday night.
Najib said Sulaiman mentioned personal problems as the main reason for him to leave the federal post.
However, he declined to say when Sulaiman submitted his resignation letter to him.
Najib was asked to comment on a report in a news portal Friday which says that Sulaiman had sent his resignation letter to him last month.
On another issue, Najib said he was not sure of the extent of former finance minister Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah’s involvement in the caucus on the oil royalty payment for Kelantan as there had been no confirmation on him (Tengku Razaleigh) chairing it.
The prime minister said the government also had no intention of taking over the setting up the caucus which was now being initiated by the opposition.
“How to take over….the government had already made its stand on the matter,” he said.
On the issue involving Kota Siputeh Barisan Nasional assemblyman Datuk Abu Hasan Sarif, Najib said Umno would wait for the court decision before taking any action.
The seat held by Abu Hassan was declared vacant by the Kuala Lumpur High Court on Nov 16 following his consecutive absence from two Kedah state assembly sittings without the permission of the Speaker.
However, Abu Hassan filed an appeal against the decision through his counsel Datuk Mohd Hafarizam Harun.