The latest survivor was not buried by the 7.0-magnitude quake that struck on January 12 but two days later, perhaps by one of the massive aftershocks that were common in the immediate aftermath of the disaster.
Rico Dibrivell, covered in dust and dressed only in underpants, was carried out from the ruins of a building in the centre of the capital Port-au-Prince.
“He was buried in the rubble for 12 days. The man had a broken leg and severe dehydration,” said a statement from the US military who found him in a collapsed Port-au-Prince building, on the aptly-named Rue de Miracles.
Dibrivell, who also suffered facial injuries, survived on small amounts of water and was said to be amazingly well considering his ordeal – the longest of any Haiti quake survivor so far.
The unlikelihood of finding survivors has prompted many rescue teams to pull out of Haiti, and the government is expected to call off the search for survivors soon.
The rescue, two weeks after the earthquake killed more than 150,000 people, came as the US-led relief effort was focused on getting help to hundreds of thousands of survivors left homeless, hungry and injured.
Brazilian UN peacekeeping troops fired tear gas into a frenzied crowd of thousands of Haitians crowding a food handouts outside the wrecked presidential palace as delays in getting help to earthquake survivors persisted.
“They’re not violent, just desperate. They just want to eat,” Colonel Fernando Soares of the Brazilian army said. “The problem is, there is not enough food for everyone.”
Facing persistent complaints by survivors that the huge amounts of aid flown in to Haiti is not reaching them on the ground, US and UN troops and aid workers have widened and intensified the distribution of food and water.
Some of the food handouts in the capital have turned unruly, although the United Nations said the overall security situation in the city remained stable.
It said about 60 to 70 per cent of Haiti’s police force has returned to work.
Unsanitary living conditions in Port-au-Prince have raised fears of an outbreak of disease.
So far, doctors on the US navy hospital ship Comfort anchored offshore said they had seen only one case each of typhoid and dysentery, and several of tetanus and malaria. — Telegraph