A hardware store selling paint and a tattoo parlour located at Wayang Street a historical area in Kuching city were destroyed by fire on Saturday.

A fire broke out at 10.30pm believed to be started by an electrical short circuit in the paint shop.

No casualties were reported and firefighters were still trying to control the blaze, which had spread to a third shop by 12.10am.

This is the second fire at a historical area here. In December, a fire broke out at nearby Gambir Street (video below), which saw seven shophouses destroyed.