Wong Ho Leng thrown a challenge to SUPP – Wong Soon Koh to a public debate on the renaming of UCS to Laila Taib College yesterday and other pertinent issues. Specifically he has these 10 questions to ask SUPP.
1. Leaders of SUPP Sibu branch said that the United College of Sarawak (UCS) was a private college and it has nothing to do with the SUPP.
The claim shocked the whole Chinese society in Sarawak, in particular, in Sibu. SUPP members were in total disbelief and were in anguish too.
When Dr. Wong Soon Kai was the Party President, UCS was one of the 5 pilot projects and SUPP planned to make the Rahman College in Sarawak. SUPP in many General/State Elections had glorified UCS as its beacon of its achievements. How could it now turn around and say UCS has nothing to do with SUPP?
2. If SUPP and UCS really are unrelated, when was the relationship severed? Why was the relationship severed?
3. Under the UCS hierarchy, there was a Board of Management comprising Tan Sri Dr. Chan Hong Nam, Datuk David Teng Lung Chi, Senator Datuk Sim Kheng Hui, Datuk Alfred Yap and Datuk Lee Kim Shin. Was the Board of Management consulted before UCS was disposed for RM1.00 to the Sarawak Foundation?
4. Was the disposal of UCS to the Sarawak Foundation being deliberated and approved in the CWC and the CC meetings of SUPP? Does SUPP Sibu branch have the authority to sell UCS?
5. Leaders of SUPP Sibu branch told the press that the major donors agreed upon the deal. A lot people are asking whether there are other donors. Are these smaller donors agreeable to and being consulted before the disposal of UCS?
6. Before the disposal of UCS, who were the shareholders and the members of Board of Directors of UCS?
7. Datuk Robert Lau Hui Chiew said UCS’s net worth was about RM30 million. Please tell us the details of the assets of UCS that were valued at RM30 million. If UCS was worth RM30 million, then why was it disposed for RM1?
8. If UCS was disposed of at RM1, does it mean that the accumulated loss exceeded RM30 million? If not, why sell it off at RM1 only?
9. The SUPP Sibu branch at one occasion said that UCS since 1997 had produced 3500 graduates but yesterday it was announced that the figure was 6300. What was the correct number? A very simple arithmetic question! The SUPP leadership should not inflate the numbers.
10. The UCS has its name changed to Laila College. Has the SUPP ever given a thought to change the UCS name to Kolej Ong Kee Hui or Kolej Stephen Yong or Kolej Wong Soon Kai to honour these SUPP past Presidents? Datuk Patinggi Dr. Wong Soon Kai is from Sibu, has served Sibu 43 years and an outstanding surgeon. Why the SUPP Sibu branch did not propose to name the college as Dr. Wong Soon Kai College?