[UPDATED] An African student suffering from fever who initially admitted to private hospital Kuching had been transferred to Sarawak General Hospital for fear of Ebola.
“Yes, investigations are being carried out. No details yet. He is only a suspect,” Datuk Dr Zulkifli Jantan told Malay Mail Online in an email, saying it was no cause for alarm.
Dr Zulkifli who is the state health director said health officials are monitoring the patient but declined to elaborate.
State Assistant Public Health Minister Datuk Dr Jerip Susil confirmed a 24-year-old Zimbabwean student in Sarawak is being monitored after developing some Ebola-like symptoms.
“Doctors there contacted the state Health Department, and the patient was then moved to the isolation ward at Sarawak General Hospital on Sunday.”
Dr Jerip stressed the patient had not developed Ebola symptoms and that the Nigerian students he came in contact with were totally fine.
“The patient under investigation is not vomiting and suffering from diarrhoea.
“Nonetheless, the state Health Department had activated “high precautionary measures”.
“Medical personnel will be going to private university to carry out contact tracing,” said Dr Jerip, urging for public to be calm.
He said it was untrue the university and private hospital had been sealed.
Samples have been collected for testing, Dr Jerip said, with results expected this week.
To learn more about Ebola virus disease visit – World Health Organization